gulfsouthbmw.org

A place to connect and share information with fellow members.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Tell us your favorite road to ride. You know the ride you would take someone on that you want to how a good time.
If you use multiple roads/highways please list them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:17 pm 

I'll take the bait and start. Many are interesting and many are beautiful or exciting in their own way. Much depends on who would go with me. Right now, the ride I'd like to take someone on is the Great River Road ride from St Louis up to Prairie Du Chein, WI. No mountain peaks or snow capped mountains, but I love all the small towns with their local eats. Love meeting the local people and hearing about whatever they have going on or the old timers and their stories of past. to me, the best part of that ride is the route on the west side of the Miss river, from Dubuque, IA to McGregor, IA. Cross the river at McGregor and head south for some fresh suds at the Petosi Brewing Co, in Petosi, WI. Only problem is....no motel in Petosi!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am 

One of my favorite rides would be just west of the boarder of Colorado in Utah.
A few years ago 2009 to be exact, Jim and I where at the Thunder Mountain Rally in Hotchkiss Co. While at the rally we talked about taking "the long way home" a few extra days to get back to Louisiana. We asked ex Gulf South member and now Colorado resident Paul Huges for any recommendations on routes. Paul pointed us west over into Utah.
Sunday morning, we packed the bikes and headed out of town on a bright crisp September morning. Paul told us to head up to Grand Junction then jump onto I-70 West into Utah. After crossing the state line look for the exit at Cisco Ut. which turned out to be Ut. Hwy 6 south, he told us not to expect too much at Cisco. We exited onto 6 and didn't see much there but pushed on. In a few miles we came to Cisco and boy was he right. Cisco was a collection of old trailers converted buses and junk. In a few miles we turned onto Ut 128 (Dinosaur Diamond Prehistoric Highway) .
128 started out more like an extension of Hwy 6. it's flat open dusty desert. That's until you entered the Castle Valley region. You enter the valley where 128 meets the Colorado River and that is where this becomes one of my Favorite Rides. From this point on you ride along the banks of the river. The valley is like Taking Monument Valley and pulling all the formations and scenery right up to the edge of the road. 128 only last about 43 miles,but it is one of the most memorable 43 miles I've ridden.
The contrast between the blue waters of the Colorado River the green of the valley floor and the reds, oranges and tans of the rocks against the brilliant blue of a early fall sky sets this ride high on my list of Favorite Rides.
As 128 comes to an end the valley closes in on you. Turning into a canyon then spits you out onto Hwy 51. At this point you can either go north into Arches National Monument or south into Moab Ut.

Or you could just turn around and do it again!

"Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid."
--John Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:27 pm 

Alden, that's an awsome description. I've added that to my own "rides to do" list!